iOS 12 brings Memoji which lets you create an Animoji of yourself. You can customise a cartoon character that will appear in your Animoji list and work just like the Animoji characters, following your facial movement. Here’s how you make your own Memoji.
Apple released Animoji in iOS 11 with a few fun characters and added some more over time.
The 👽 Alien, 🐱 Cat, 🐔 Chicken, 🐶 Dog, 🦊 Fox, 🐵 Monkey, 🐼 Panda, 🐷 Pig, 💩 Pile of Poo, 🐰 Rabbit, 🤖 Robot and 🦄 Unicorn were introduced in iOS 11.
The following options were added in iOS 11.3 🐻 Bear, 🐲 Dragon, 🦁 Lion and 💀 Skull. In addition to Memoji the following Animoji were added in iOS 12 🐨 Koala, 🐯 Tiger, 👻 Ghost and 🦖 T-Rex.
What do I need to create a Memoji?
- Open the Messages app, and then open an existing message or start a new one.
- Click the Animoji app in the bar along the bottom of the Messages screen (the monkey icon).
- Tap the + sign at the beginning of the list of Animoji.
- You’re now in the Memoji creation tool. The first option is to select your skin colour with the selectors and sliders on screen.
- Then swipe through the different categories to further customize your Memoji avatar.
- You can change your hairstyle, head shape, eyes, brows, nose and lips, ears, facial hair, eyewear, and headwear.
- When you’re satisfied with how your Memoji looks, tap Done in the upper-right corner.
- You’ll be back at the Animoji picker, but you’ll see your own custom Memoji among them.
- You can repeat this process to make additional Memoji with different looks.
Now that you have a Memoji setup check out our guide on how to share your Memoji and how to create Memoji photo or video including the background scene.