One of the latest scammer tricks doing the rounds is for the scammer to ask for you to pay them via App Store & iTunes gift cards.
The scams are the same tried and true scams. For example they will advise that your tax, internet, medical, electricity, phone, etc. bills is overdue and needs urgent payment now.
As people are becoming wary of providing credit cars over the phone the scammers are now requesting that you buy an iTunes gift card from the closest retailer.
They will then ask you to pay by sharing the 16-digit code on the back of the card.
App Store and iTunes gift cards can only be used to pay for items on the App Store and iTunes and cannot be used to pay other bills. Anyone requesting this is 100% a scammer.
Make sure you note down their phone number and any other details and report them to the ACCC’s Scamwatch.
Scam Prevention Tips
- Don’t respond to phone calls about your computer asking for remote access – hang up.
- Do not open suspicious texts, pop-up windows or click on links or attachments in emails – delete them.
- Beware of any requests for your details or money.
- Be wary of unusual payment requests.
- Be careful when shopping online. Some deals really are too good to be true.
- Choose strong passwords and use different passwords for different services.
- Be alert to the fact that scams exist.