Netflix is rolling out a new feature, high quality audio, today that will offer audio upgrades to some of your favourite TV Shows & Movies on Apple TV.
The feature, called high-quality audio, will upgrade 5.1 audio streams from 192 kbps up to 640 kbps, and Dolby Atmos streams from 448 kbps up to 768 kbps.
Netflix believes high-quality audio encoding will be able to restore some missing details (think of sounds like squealing tires, ringing telephones, crumbling debris) that you’ve been missing.
Videos that are labeled for Dolby Atmos or Dolby Digital Plus 5.1 and videos labeled with the “5.1” emblem are effected by the update. All standards are supported by the Apple TV 4K, but the Apple TV HD only supports Dolby Digital Plus 5.1 and not Atmos. You will also need to have at least tvOS 12 for Atmos support.
To get Atmos streaming you will also need to be subscribed to the Premium plan (or a plan that supports Ultra HD) for $17.99 per month.
Devices that support Dolby Atmos on Netflix
- Apple TV 4K (requires tvOS 12 or later)
- LG OLED TVs (2017 or newer models)
- Panasonic TVs (2019 or newer models)
- Pixela 4K Smart Tuner
- Roku TVs (2018 or newer models)
- Sony BRAVIA Android TVs (2018 or newer models)
- Toshiba TVs (2019 or newer models)
- Vizio TVs (2018 or newer models)
- Windows 10 computer or tablet (requires Windows 10 RS3 Build 16299 or later)
- Xbox One, Xbox One S, and Xbox One X