As expected Apple has announced its stunning new MacBook Air with an even more portable design, Touch ID, Retina display and faster specs.
The new MacBook Air comes in Gold, Silver and Space Grey and now (finally) includes a Retina display. The MacBook Air retains it’s all day battery life with up to 12 hours of wireless web browsing and ditches the huge silver bezels.
It includes an updated butterfly keyboard, a larger Force Touch trackpad, faster SSDs, wide stereo sound, the Apple T2 Security Chip and 2 x Thunderbolt 3.
The enclosure now includes 100% recused aluminium making it the greenest Mac yet.
How Much & When is it available?
13″ MacBook Air with Touch ID 1.6GHz Dual‑Core Processor with Turbo Boost up to 3.6GHz, 128GB Storage starts at $1,849.00. Upgrade to 256GD SSD for an extra $300, 512GB for $600 and 1.5TB for $1,800.
13″ MacBook Air with Touch ID 1.6GHz Dual‑Core Processor with Turbo Boost up to 3.6GHz, 256GB Storage starts at $2,149.00. Upgrade to 512GD SSD for an extra $300 and 1.5TB for $1,500.
Both models allow an upgrade to 16GB of memory for an additional $320.
The new MacBook Air is available to order immediately with the first orders shipping on the 6th of November.
What are the Specs?
13.3-inch (diagonal) LED-backlit display with IPS technology; 2560-by-1600 native resolution at 227 pixels per inch with support for millions of colours in a 16:10 aspect ratio.
1.6GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 with Turbo Boost up to 3.6GHz and 4MB L3 cache.
128GB PCIe-based SSD. Configurable to 256GB, 512GB or 1.5TB SSD.
8GB of 2133MHz LPDDR3 onboard memory. Configurable to 16GB of memory,
Battery and Power
- Up to 12 hours wireless web
- Up to 13 hours iTunes movie playback
- Up to 30 days of standby time
- Built-in 50.3‑watt‑hour lithium‑polymer battery
- 30W USB‑C Power Adapter; USB‑C power port
Size and Weight
- Height: 0.41–1.56 cm (0.16–0.61 inch)
- Width: 30.41 cm (11.97 inches)
- Depth: 21.24 cm (8.36 inches)
- Weight: 1.25 kg (2.75 pounds)
Graphics & Video
- Intel UHD Graphics 617
- Support for Thunderbolt 3–enabled external graphics processors (eGPUs)
- Simultaneously supports full native resolution on the built-in display in millions of colours and one external display with 5120-by-2880 resolution at up to 60Hz
- Up to two external displays with 4096-by-2304 resolution at up to 60Hz
- Thunderbolt 3 digital video output
- Native DisplayPort output over USB‑C
- VGA, HDMI and Thunderbolt 2 output using adapters (sold separately)
- 720p FaceTime HD camera
Two Thunderbolt 3 (USB‑C) ports with support for:
- Thunderbolt (up to 40 Gbps)
- USB‑C 3.1 Gen 2 (up to 10 Gbps)
802.11ac Wi-Fi wireless networking; IEEE 802.11a/b/g/n compatible
Bluetooth 4.2 wireless technology
- Stereo speakers
- Three microphones
- 3.5-mm headphone jack
Keyboard and Trackpad
- Full-sized keyboard with individual LED-backlit keys, including 12 function keys and four arrow keys
- Ambient light sensor
- Force Touch trackpad for precise cursor control and pressure-sensing capabilities; enables Force clicks, accelerators, pressure‑sensitive drawing and Multi‑Touch gestures